Thursday, March 22

Fiery debate ahead of Saturday's poll



Airlie Beach's upgrade, boat ramps, Doctor Paul Joice’s credentialing and even Tinkerbell and her illusive fairy dust got dragged into Monday night’s debate between the four candidates vying for the seat of Whitsunday.
By 7.30pm, it was standing-room only at Airlie Beach Rotary’s candidates’ debate as the crowd of over 100 people gathered at the Reef Gateway to learn more about Labor’s Jan Jarratt, LNP’s Jason Costigan, the Greens candidate Jonathon Dykyj and  Katter'sAustralia Party’s Amanda Camm.
The sitting member Jan Jarratt drew the longest straw and opened the debate confidently speaking about her track record of community achievements.
“My opponents will tell you what a terrible job the Labor government has done, but the facts speak for themselves. Our opponents have been peddling fairy tales about the state of the economy but the truth is Queensland is positioned to take advantage of a golden era and this area needs a local champion to make sure we get what we deserve. I will be our champion,” Ms Jarratt said.
Ms Jarratt spoke passionately about her list of community achievements including the new terminal, a social housing duplex, funds to develop the main street, a new kindergarten, a mental health unit at the Proserpine Hospital, and grants for a number of sports clubs around the Whitsundays.
“My commitment is so strong I will double the base funding for Tourism Whitsundays, I will get an additional $600,000 to employ 20 unemployed young people, give the BMX club in Proserpine $100,000 and on top of this we are also putting in eight new overtaking lanes on the Bruce Highway and four on Shute Harbour Road. With your support I will deliver on all my promises,” she said.
It took a while for the crowd to warm up but local fisherman Bob Spees did the trick.
“Communication is very difficult with you Jan. I have petitions about the need for better, safer boat ramps but you haven’t even looked at them. And Abel Point Marina, you are doing one million dollars work there but again there’s no consultation with the people,” Mr Spees said to applause.
“Until we get the feasibility study about the VMR boat ramp, I cannot commit to building the rock wall – and neither can anyone else at this table,” she said.
Australia Party candidate Amanda Camm was next up, opening with a wholesome line about life and love.
“I am a mother, a partner, a daughter who wants a better future for our kids and grandkids. Coal seam gas scares the death out of me. One thing we are passionate about is that if you want to sell your land to a mining company, then go for it, but if you don’t, then you should be able to lock your gate,” Ms Camm said.
Early intervention to prevent suicide was another key focus in Amanda’s opening speech.
Jim Wort told Ms Camm she had a good strong voice for a young person.
“But are you aware the shooting party and the unions are backing your party?”
“Are you aware that Clive Palmer and mining money is backing the LNP?” she fired back. “I am not standing here telling everyone to vote for me. Sure I’d love it. But it’s probably not going to happen. I just want everyone to be informed – to understand who they are voting for,” she said, before asking herself the last question.
“Jason, do you want to ask me this question? Why I am a latecomer? Go on ... I know you want to ask me! I am not a latecomer. I have been speaking with the Australia Party since August last year. I know the issues this region is facing. And I take my hat off to anyone who can campaign for 56 weeks!” she fired.
 “I am a squeaky wheel, I have a loud voice and I will be a strong advocate for this region,” she said.
Greens' candidate Jonathon Dykyj clearly believes in the vision of his party. “These aren’t just policies they’re values. I want to make it clear we are not about putting people out of jobs … we are in favour of mining but it’s not all about mining. We have to think about the bigger picture, carers, farmers, teachers, dive instructors, nurses,”
Renewable energy was one of Mr Dykyj’s strong points as he questioned why the sunshine state - the smart state - wasn’t involved in generating renewable energy.
“We can't survive on a two speed economy. You can't eat coal and you can't drink gas. We have a proven track record in parliament of creating policies around helping farmers keep mining companies out.”
Questions were slow for Jonathon too. “I am Greenie, bring it on!” he joked.
One gentleman asked him exactly how many elections he had run in, to which Jonathon said three and he would no doubt run again.
“Whether there are issues in Whitsunday, Dawson, the state or the planet, they’re important to us all. As I have always said our policies are in line with my beliefs, and you might be surprised … but I drove here tonight! he said.
Bob Spees stood up again.
“You explain to me how we can’t get two bloody mangrove trees removed from the boat ramp in the Proserpine river to make things safe but Port of Airlie can do what its done!”
 Jason Costigan was the final candidate to take the floor.
“I am a father of two, nowadays a single father and 40 years of age and the reason I am standing up here tonight is two- fold. I don’t believe for one second that we are getting our fair share in Mackay and the Whitsundays and broadly speaking north Queensland in general and I am standing because I believe I can make a difference. There are 89 MPs in the Queensland parliament of various persuasions and Labor’s Jan Jarratt is one of those and it is interesting to note that yu really need to get a microscope out to see that Jan Jarratt is representing the Labor party at this election because the band has been deserted. And in north Queensland, guess how many Liberal Nationals we’ve got fighting for the people of north Queensland just two and we wonder why the north is  neglected.
“We heard from the sitting member about the economic credentials of Queensland well if its going gang busters then why do we have the highest unemployment rate of any mainland state?”
Kevin Collins asked what the LNP was going to do for tourism which brought the LNP candidate back to flood mitigation on the Bruce Highway.
A woman from the BMX club asked whether the LNP would honour the same $100,000
“I’ll answer this very candidly. I haven’t had any dealing with the BMX club and I notice the Labor member has promised $100,000. Sport is something very dear to my heart . In terms of the pledge I cannot stand up here and say I am going to promise you the same, but we can discuss it. Unlike Tinkerbell with her fairy dust who has been sprinkling it around the electorate for a number of months now - I am not the David Copperfield of the LNP I am Jason Costigan.”
The boat ramps were brought up again, as was the LNP’s position on the main street upgrade, the land swap, daylight saving and even Dr Paul Joice was dragged into it.
The LNP’s policy on giving principals the right to hire and fire teachers was then raised by a member of the crowd to which the opposing three candidates said they were dead against.
“It’s an opportunity for schools to move with the times.  Some of the Naplan results that come back are not brilliant – and we can do better so that’s why we have looked at education in this respect.”
Ms Camm wanted to interject to one of Jason’s comments to which she was told she’d have to wait.
“We’re all on our best behaviour tonight aren’t we,” Mr Costigan said to which Ms Camm said “I don’t know Jase, this is the first debate you have actually turned up to!”
“Where have you been for the past 52 weeks?” the LNP candidate quipped.
“I’ve got a family …” Ms Camm said. “I have a family to provide for too,” said Costigan.
“Clive Palmer?” the Greens' candidate asked.
By now it was 9.30pm and the debate chairman John Powell asked if the audience would like to go on.
They didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment