Wednesday, June 27

Debate before Whitsunday Regional Council portfolios passed

Mayor Jennifer Whitney’s portfolio motion was finally passed at a special council meeting last Wednesday with her Deputy Peter Ramage and Division 5 councillor David Clark continuing to oppose the proposal.
The portfolios will be divided up in a similar fashion to how ministers in the state and federal governments are handed certain packages including water and sewerage, rates or land and development etc.
"Given the geographical aspect of the region, I fail to see how this can work. I am yet to find a regional areas where its has worked," deputy mayor Peter Ramage said. "It is not compulsory, it is not in the act and I think it will be very hard to do something like this in a divided council.
Cr Kevin Collins disagreed.
"In our recent training it was made very clear to us all, which surprised me, that we are councillors for the whole region not just the division. And as far as I can see we cannot be across every single aspect of the council so I say let’s have a crack at it, and if it doesn’t work within six months, we’ll come back to the table with it.
Cr Clifford brought Bundaberg council into the argument saying their boundary covered an even greater geographical area than the Whitsundays and reiterated her support for a united council.
Cr John Collins entered the debate saying he was the newbie on the block and since being elected he’d been contacted by several constituents outside his division already.
"I am willing to have a crack at it, let’s give it a go and as Kevin says if it doesn’t work out we’ll revisit it in six months," Cr Collins said.
The mayor said the portfolios would be instrumental in getting over the massive hurdle of amalgamation which Cr Ramage argued there simply hadn’t been enough research put into the project.
"I don’t think it has been done democratically but I can see which way it is going to go and I am not in favour of it at all," deputy Ramage said.
In a show of good faith to her comrades, the mayor let the debate continue well past protocol.
Cr Kevin Collins took the floor.
"Some old bloke called me the other day about a dirt road. Now I know nothing about dirt roads and I am sure when he hung up he said to his wife "that guy’s an idiot" and he’d be right. If I could have said to him hang on I will put you on to someone who is an expert in that field, we’d all be a lot better off!
However it was the wishes of the majority that the motion be passed and so it was four to two with Crs Ramage and Clark voting against it, and Cr Andrew Willcox absent.

No comments:

Post a Comment