Wednesday, May 16

Whitsunday Regional Council sworn in

The region’s new team of leaders was sworn in on Friday morning, with Jennifer Whitney officially becoming the region’s new mayor, and Cr Peter Ramage being elected the deputy mayor.
Taking the oath of office for the second time were Jan Clifford, Peter Ramage and Dave Clark, who were all returned in their respective divisions, and freshmen Councillors Kevin  Collins, who ousted Rogin Taylor in Division 2, John ‘Sarge’ Collins, who succeeded Cr Whitney in Division 3, and Andrew Willcox, who has replaced former councillor Mark Gaudry in Division 6, who did not re-contest his seat.
If Cr Whitney was suffering from first meeting nerves, it certainly didn’t show as the long-term councillor and former local government employee confidently opened the meeting and proceeded through the agenda with ease.
The first hurdle emerged when Cr Whitney called for the adoption of a rotational system of electing the deputy mayor, suggesting that the Council reviews the position every 12 months and either elects or re-elects the deputy mayor.
Following a short discussion, in which several councillors sought clarification over Cr Whitney’s proposal, the position of deputy mayor was declared open, with councillors Clifford and Ramage emerging as the two contenders for the coveted role.
During the discussions Cr Willcox had indicated an interest in the role, but did not contest the position.
“If we don’t put our hand up today for deputy mayor, does that mean we can’t nominate in two or three years’ time?” he asked.
“No, not at all,” Cr Whitney responded. “As I said, the position will be reviewed every 12 months, and the process will begin anew each time.”
Councillor Clifford was nominated by Cr Kevin Collins, and seconded the nomination herself. Councillor Ramage was nominated by Cr Dave Clark, and seconded by Cr John Collins.
The mayor provided both candidates with an opportunity to make a pitch to their colleagues, with Cr Clifford claiming she was without baggage and Cr Ramage stating that he had the experience required to excel in the position.
“I am a product of the amalgamated Council, with not baggage from the former Whitsunday or Bowen shires,” Cr Clifford said. “I love the whole region, and while I love representing the people of Airlie Beach, I do not possess some myopic view that Airlie Beach is the centre of the world.”
“I have no small children that would take my away from Council,” she said. “I have a husband and a dog, who manage quite well without me.”
 “In fact, I think they quite like the arrangement,” she joked.
 “I have never missed a council meeting,” she said. “I am honest, reliable and hard-working and I work well with Jennifer.”
Councillor Ramage took a different approach, stressing his experience first on Bowen Shire Council and now on Whitsunday Regional Council.
 “My experience goes back 12 years,” he said. “I have been through the amalgamation process, I know how much Council has bled over this, and I know it has taken a long time to heal.”
 “This is my fourth term in local government, and I know I’m up for the job,” he said.
While Cr Clifford managed to gain Cr Kevin Collins’ vote, Cr Ramage, who enjoyed the support of Councillors John Collins, Dave Clark and Andrew Willcox, won the ballot.
This morning council meets in Bowen.

No comments:

Post a Comment